Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Nikolaev Ukraine Day Eight: Meeting with the Director of the Orphanage

Mary is posting today.

Our visit with the Director of the Orphanage did not go as smoothly as we would have liked. Our adoption process has been on hold for a bit because he has been on vacation and he needs to sign some documents that he will not let his deputies sign. We were grateful to get a meeting with him on his first day back. We talked with him for about 15 minutes or so. He was not supportive of the adoption and appears to be doing what he can to delay the process.  The meeting ended with him suggesting we come back in eight days when the kids return from Summer Camp so he can hear them say yes for himself. Then he will sign the documents for us. That was pretty disappointing. Our facilitator is trying to see what we can do to speed up the process.

We had a great visit with the kids today. B was waiting at the gate when we got there. He gave us a big hug (he likes to smell me every time I hug him, it is so cute!) We asked K and B more questions about themselves and had fun hearing their responses. It has been great getting to know them better. We played more games too. Tomorrow they are going to a water park and they want us to come along. Neither one of us brought swimming suits, so James and I went shopping after our visit. I was a little concerned trying to find a swimming suit in Ukraine, but it was a much easier process than I thought because they really don't have a big selection of one piece suits. I did find one that I am happy with. James found one in less than 3 minutes, so much easier for boys. We are looking forward to a fun day tomorrow.


  1. Discouraging, but you are managing to stay upbeat--if perhaps only for the readers. ;) You could think of the director's reluctance as extra caution for the kids maybe? Hope you all have so much fun tomorrow!

  2. Keeping you in our prayers. Hang in there y'all!